Monday, January 12, 2009

Reflexology, shopping and the stressed-out Christian

First off, here’s this morning’s meditation:

Meditation 46

The robe brushes the earth
with pomegranates

and golden notes.
See the ground sing,

echo the deep scent
to the air.

The light still burns
and you know

how arrival changes
everything.


At work my email seems full of problems to sort out and catering records to stare at. Goodness, what a lot of sandwiches we eat. It’s all a bit of a muddle and my brain isn’t really in gear at all at the moment. So no change there then.

Still, thank goodness for reflexology at lunchtime – an essential oasis in the desert of the day. The truth is I think I’m still totally wired after my hectic weekend – I just can’t take the pace of it these days, you know. Three late nights in a row and I’m good for absolutely nothing. My eyes are prickling with tiredness. Plus the week ahead seems full of people, and reasons for not being at home, and I’m not convinced I can cope with it all. We’ll see. If you do read in the papers that some crazed woman has run mad through the streets of Godalming, you’ll know who it is. Please send counsellors. Perhaps all this angst has something to do with the fact that I haven’t had time for my 20 minute meditation zone for the last three nights. Hmm, food for thought, that. Nothing much happens when I’m in the zone, to be honest, but maybe I need it anyway.

Tonight, I’m doing the Tesco shop but I don’t think there’s too much to get (hurrah!) so I might be at home quicker than I think. Ah bliss. I’m planning to look at my Little Bird story again as I’d like to finish the first draft sometime soon. Again, we’ll see. Oh and there’s some crime drama on tonight called Unforgiven. Am I up to the excitement of it all? Who can tell …

I’ve finished Christopher Jamison’s Finding Sanctuary. An interesting and clearly written book about how to find peace in the midst of today’s society. Lots of food for thought, and it was particularly helpful in terms of Christian meditation. I’d recommend it. That said, I’m not sure how it actually relates to me or how much it will change things as they currently are – it’s beginning to strike me that a lot of spiritual reading seems to be aimed at people who are much better people than I am (well it doesn’t take much …). Or who are prepared to make a bigger effort to be different. When will someone write a spiritual classic for the stressed-out Christian who can’t raise the energy to change their life more than a smidgeon? I live in hope …

Ooh and the lovely people at the new First Edition magazine have asked me for an interview for their upcoming March edition, so thanks for the request, Sarah, and I’ll look forward to answering all your questions! Get that torch ready and shine it in my eyes …

And finally Leslie at Bristlecone Pine Press has sent me the first draft ebook of Pink Champagne and Apple Juice to look at, so that will certainly keep me busy for a while.

Today’s nice things:

1. Poetry
2. Reflexology
3. Being at home
4. Books
5. An interview request
6. The Champers eBook Take One.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - bearing up ...

2 comments:

Jilly said...

Something for the stressed out Christian - now that sounds like a sure fire bestseller. I would definitely buy it! As regards making small changes wasn't it Buddha who said 'the longest journey begins with a single step' - or words to that effect. jillysheep - where even the platitudes come from famous people!! I hope you're feeling less stressed by now. Hugsxxx

Anne Brooke said...

Tee hee! Thanks, Jilly! Less stressed now, thank the lord, but sooooo tired. Must go to bed early tonight or I'll explode!!

Axxx